Sunday, December 07, 2008

Saving Africa's Witch Children

I just spent the entire night on the day my exams ended, reading/researching about a very heartrending issue. It's about children in Nigeria being labelled by "pastors" and "prophets" as witches, causing them to be pushed out and rejected by their families. It irks me that all these are supposedly done in the name of Christ.

Kids as young as 5 have to fend for themselves because their family don't want them anymore, fearing and believing that they will bring bad spirits and cause incidents such as deaths. It just absolutely broke my heart reading about them and it further crushed me while I watch the kids having to face rejection over and over again. The anger and hatred I felt from the crowd towards these kids from behind the screen was enough to scare the 19 year old me. How much more afraid did each of these kids feel, standing there having to face all these people alone and probably not understanding why all these are happening, or being brainwashed into feeling guilty and responsible for incidents such as deaths.

Behind every scar on every one of them lies such a sad and traumatizing tale, that no kid should ever have to go through. They are all such beautiful kids and it sad to see that they brainwashed into thinking they are witches. I feel so sad/angry and helpless and all I wish I could do is to be able to go kidnap (or rather bring since their parents will probably willingly give them to me) them all back and take care of them. I don't understand and can't wrap my mind around how is it possible for any parent to hate their child, so much till to the extent of trying to kill/bury them alive or allow others to harm them? How can any parents ask for their children to be taken away from them? It's so unimaginable. I'm grateful I was born me.

Links to articles on the issues (WARNING: potentially very disturbing images/videos/articles/photos):
Channel 4: Saving Africa's Witch Children
Guardian: Children are targets of Nigerian witch hunt
Saving Nigeria’s ‘Witch’ Children
Help Child Victim

Link to the full Saving Africa's Witch Documentary by Gary Foxcroft:
Saving Africa's Witch Children Part 1
You can access the rest via the related video links at the side.

All these remind me why I wanted to work with UNICEF last time. It has been a few hours since I started reading about this and I'm still reeling from the shock and sadness. People are telling me not to read the articles, watch the videos for it's making me sad, and I should read cheery stuff for my exams just ended. But I want to know! It being a sad issue is not a reason not to read it. Not reading it will not make the problem go away. In fact, it's simply because it's so sad that it deserves awareness and attention. I was very close to tears while watching/reading all the articles and videos and it broke my heart.

No comments: