Taken from Straits Times Online:
Jan 18, 2007
Spoilt S'poreans shun Mid-East postings
ABU DHABI - THE reluctance of Singaporeans to leave their comfortable lives back home is the single most daunting obstacle to Singapore's efforts to penetrate the Middle East market.
Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong gave this assessment during an interview on Tuesday to wrap up his nine-day trip to Morocco and Abu Dhabi.
Explaining the unwillingness, he said with a laugh: 'Life in Singapore is too good. The Singapore Government is too good to Singaporeans and we actually spoilt them. It's a fact...but that's our job.'
Mr Goh has been spearheading the drive to develop the Middle East as a viable economic partner as Singapore further develops its external economic wing.
The region desires Singapore workers, he said.
'They come to Singapore, they look at the quality of our management, so when they give a project to us, even though (it's just a) consultancy, they want to see Singapore managers here.'
But not enough Singaporeans want to come, he added.
With three years of travelling in the region behind him - he has been to all the countries except Iraq, Lebanon and Syria - the Senior Minister said that what was next for him was to revisit countries around the region.
'But more than that, to find a way to tie their interests with other countries in Asia in which they may have interest,' he said.
'So I will visit those other countries as well and work out the relationship on a trilateral basis to mutual interest.'
Indeed, coordinating the interests of three countries is one key role Mr Goh has identified for Singapore.
For instance, Abu Dhabi is 'very interested in moving into the China market and they have a very important asset - they have oil and China will need, in the long term, a secure supply of oil'.
Here is where Singapore, which knows China better, can be useful.
The Senior Minister also spelt out how Singapore companies can stay indispensable even when the Middle East becomes well-acquainted with the markets.
The way is to go beyond being just a 'deal-maker or broker or commission agent'.
Singapore companies must aim to become a shareholder by investing in these ventures, he said.
This can extend to heavy industries such as steel and aluminium - and even those in which Singapore has no experience, such as energy prospecting and oil-drilling.
'I see no reason why Singapore cannot move from refining petrochemical products upstream to concessions and prospecting,' he said.
He also acknowledged the challenge that private-sector companies face.
Currently, most of the businesses that have succeeded in the Middle East are government-linked companies (GLCs).
'There is a clear preference in the Middle East for dealing with the Government and companies linked to the Government.'
The reason: They have dealt with the leaders of Singapore and therefore by extension they believe 'quite correctly that GLCs are very trustworthy'.
Extending this trust to the private sector will take some time, and one way is for them to accompany government ministers as part of the official delegation.
Mr Goh said: 'But more important than trust alone is capability, because trust without competency and capability does not translate into business.'
LI XUEYING
Okay, I can really relate to this report! It's a bit disappointing to know that singaporeans are reluctant to go to the Middle East. I know I was like that initially, but not because it was the Middle east, but because I was leaving behind my family and friends. BUT! I really don't regret going! I grew to love that place. Maybe things wouldn't be so difficult now if I had stayed in Singapore, but if I were to choose all over again, I will definitely go back to Qatar and the Middle East. It IS difficult in the beginning, but really, I believe the experience teaches a lot. I know I learnt and matured a lot. Especially for "spoilt singaporeans", the experience will be very beneficial. You learn to take care of yourself over there because if you don't, no one would. You gain more leisure and family time and I'm really grateful for that. I miss that kind of life, being able to go down to the marina anytime, go swimming, walk along the corniche, go sailing. Singapore's life is far tooo busy and hectic that nobody has much time for family. If I were offered the chance to go back to Doha or another middle east country like UAE, I probably will go.
No comments:
Post a Comment