Ok. So I decided to start blogging again. Why? Maybe because I'm way too free for my own good and start pondering about things again. Anyway, I'm now back in Singapore for 3 months now. Another new chapter, new beginning. This shall be a looong post of what I've been up to for the last 3 months.
The education system in Singapore really annoys me. Maybe not so much as the system itself but rather the way it works. Or just how the whole society functions. MM Lee and PM Lee are all about people returning to Singapore after being overseas but the society just doesn't make it easy for people to return and re-integrate back into the main stream society! Especially students like me and of course Xue Ying and Tim. Every school I approached just directly told me no without even looking at any results, achievements or anything. Just because I'm a returning singaporean and I didn't do my O levels here. Most schools didn't know what to do with me. Should they consider me as a singaporean (but she didn't do her Os here) or am I a foreigner (but she's a citizen!)? Grrr.. It was just frustrating. The situation was just desperate. My father was even considering SJI International for me. That's how desperate we were. (Unofrtunately, SJI International is only enrolling up to Secondary 3 level in 2007. Talk about overage.) Then SPERS-JC/MI came out and thus the mad rush to finish the entire E maths and A maths syllabus in 1 1/2 month started. Had tuition almost everyday with Aaron Don't-know-last-name who was my only social contact for that 1 1/2 months. (Yes, I have no life, thank you very much). And then 1st November came and the tests were disastorous! Firstly, we had to do 4 tests in 1 day. I stayed at the exam place from 7.30am int he morning till 6pm. Who does 4 exams in 1 day? It's pure torture! (See how they make things difficult for returning singaporeans?) Secondly, the papers were extremely, crazily difficult! Everyone I spoke to didn't manage to finish any of the Maths papers and it was funny seeing all the parents crowd around the invigilator, complaining! I felt sooo bad about screwing up the papers though. Not because I was concerned about the results (Ok, maybe a little) but because it seems like I wasted my tutor's effort. Anyway, after E Maths paper, Xue Ying, Tim and I just went out of the exam hall and stared at each other. All of us had the what-the-hell-was-that look on our face. And then we just started laughing about how it's funny we're all screwed. Tim shared his story of how he did an A Maths test at Temesak and only managed to do 3 out of 16 questions. It was pretty hilarious. A Maths wasn't much better and so many people just gave up and left the exam room. That shows how bad it was! It's not just me. 2 more weeks till I get my results. That would be interesting. Anyway, if Singapore is really serious and sincere about wanting overseas Singaporean to return, there should be a better system than the existing one. If this is what is awaiting back home, there is simply no incentive to come back, especially for students. Or maybe all talks about wanting people to return are just... talks. Who knows?
Sooo... after a loong time, SPERS was over and you would think I was happy about it. Hmm.. somehow not really. Sure, I was happy the awful tests were over but suddenly I was just too free. Felt a bit empty. No more maths to fill up my day. The first day of my freedom was just tortorous! I got up and just walked around the house the entire day. I had too much spare time and it was just killing me. So a routine started. I read, walked around the estate with my dog exploring, watched movies, cycle around the estate, exploring somemore and still I felt bored. Why don't you go out I hear some of you wonder? Simply because going out alone is boring and I shall not appear loner-ish. But now, I started learning French again! Dug out all my french textbooks, notebooks and cd. I'm determined to become fluent in French and I shall remember all that I have learnt last time (I hope.. ). Oh yeah, I watched Goong too and my sister laughed at me because I'm not a telly/show person. But it's nice and I finished the series today! It's nice.
I have to start going out again. I think my parents think I lack socialization. My dad keeps asking me to go out and make some friends, my mum suggests I go to the library and spend my entire day there (just so I'm out of the house). Well, maybe I should. I'm going shopping tomorrow and on monday, I'm going bugis with Mary who shall take me to bugis village. I feel like a tourist. :P
It's weird how we all miss Doha after we leave. Especially since we always complain about the place and say we can't wait till we get out. Honestly though, it's the people I miss, not the place. You can replace the place, but the people are just special. I miss my friends in desert-land!
Been talking to Tim on messenger and had interesting conversations. But my fingers are tired and so it shall be another entry, another day. Au revior!
No comments:
Post a Comment