Sunday, April 19, 2009

Trees of green, red roses too!


Louis Armstrong Kenny G - What a Wonderful World

It's such a beautiful song that gets me smiling every time. It was a nice song to begin with, add to that Kenny G playing the saxophone just makes it perfect. *swoons*

I started off this post wanting to rant and complain about every single bad thing I could conjure up in my mind about. The upcoming exams, my pathetic attempts of studying, the lack of time or so I think for revision, how I can't sleep, the fever that's threatening to make an appearance yada yada. What a sad and negative attitude that unfortunately has became, more often than I would like, my view on things.

Then in the midst of not studying and romping around on the Internet instead, I decided to watch the video that Serene sent us titled Chicken a la carte (watch it here). It sounded boring, it looked boring and I was ready to close the window but somehow I just kept on watching. I'm glad I did because a scene at the end of the film just got me thinking. A father collecting leftovers/discarded food from a restaurant to feed his family. What really struck me was how they are still able to give thanks and be grateful for whatever food they have. Their hope and faith so strong, their joy so simple. How many of us can do that? I know I certainly can't.

How many times have I, when faced with difficulty, threw myself a pity party? Much too often than I would like to admit. How many times have I chose to magnify the challenges and ignore the blessings that I have? Probably all the time. So today, I have decided to be thankful for everything I have.

Thankful for all the food that we have around in the house, for though it always threatens to cause me to put on weight, it means my family and I have no worries for food.

Thankful for the upcoming exams and all the studying I have to do because it means I am able to enjoy an education.

Thankful for the many activities that reduces my studying time because it means I have close extended families that meet up and are able to enjoy each others company and have meals together and friends who I am able to have fun with. (:

When I feel sad or down, I'm thankful that I still have emotions and that there is someone/something important in my life that still matters enough to me for me to be upset about.

Gratitude - the power of being thankful for life. It's a skill that I have not truly learnt. As I go through life, may I acquire a deeper gratitude for things in my life.

Mood of the post is a little pensive, but don't we all need times reflection in our lives? (:

No comments: